Highlights & Overview of Week Eight 2019 Games
Week Eight of the 2019 season saw two Top-25 Pac-12 football matchups with No. 12 Oregon visiting No. 25 Washington and No. 13 Utah hosting No. 17 Arizona State. The remaining eight teams were also in action: Stanford hosted UCLA, Oregon State visited Cal, Colorado was at Washington State, and Arizona traveled to USC.
Oregon’s Justin Herbert, Utah’s Bradlee Anae, and Oregon State’s Daniel Rodriguez were the Pac-12 Players of the Week.
You’ll find a list of the teams ranked at the end of the week, and a table of the week’s complete results at the bottom of the page.
No. 12 Oregon 35, No. 25 Washington 31
After coming up short in pivotal contests the previous two seasons, the Ducks found a way to get it done in Week 8 against the Dawgs. They did it with discipline and poise, overcoming leads of 14 and 10 points respectively before staving off a last-minute Washington drive. The Duck defense bent but didn’t break in Seattle, passing another depth test when cornerback Deommodore Lenoir left the contest with an injury in the second quarter, leaving true freshman DJ James to hold down his side.
No. 13 Utah 21, No. 17 Arizona State 3,
Defensive end Bradlee Anae led the charge for the Utes with three sacks, looking like a man among boys, and a future NFL star. Utah’s much-improved secondary held ASU wideout Brandon Aiyuk to one catch for seven yards, and smothered Sun Devil quarterback Jayden Daniels. Offensively, the Utes controlled the clock, gradually beating down a tough ASU defense. Utah running back Zack Moss became the program’s all-time leading rusher with his 99 yards, underscoring his role as the offense’s most physical playmaker. One only concern came when Ute quarterback Tyler Huntley left with an apparent calf injury.
Oregon State 21, Cal 17
After sputtering out of the gate with losses to Oklahoma State and Hawaii, OSU fought its way back to a 2-2 Conference record, with a workable 3-4 record overall. The statement victory against Cal showed just how far they had come. The Beavs jumped out to an early 14-3 lead, but lost momentum, falling behind 14-17. OSU forced a crucial interception with under five minutes left to help secure the victory.
UCLA 34, Stanford 16
For the first time in 11 games, UCLA defeated Stanford, breaking a losing streak dating back to 2008. Granted, the Cardinal was severely depleted on offense, playing without several of their linemen, and starting their third-string freshman quarterback. UCLA’s defense turned in one of its best performances of the season nonetheless. Bruin defenders held Stanford to under 200 yards of total offense, and kept them from running the ball effectively in support of their young quarterback. UCLA’s offense exceeded expectations as well, putting up 34 points in its second-highest output of 2019. Joshua Kelley rushed for a season-best 170 yards to go with a touchdown on 18 carries, including a 54-yard explosion play.
WSU 41, Colorado 10
The Cougars returned to their winning ways with a commanding win over Colorado on the Palouse. The offense featured a steady dose of Max Borghi, who ran for 105 yards and caught nine balls for 57 yards, finishing with two touchdowns. Quarterback Antony Gordon regained his rhythm, throwing for 369 yards and four scores. Brandon Arconado re-emerged as Wazzu’s top wide receiver, catching five balls for 109 yards and a 47-yard touchdown.
USC 41, Arizona 14,
Third-string freshman running back Kenan Christon lit up the Wildcats for 103 yards and two touchdowns in less than two quarters. Meanwhile, freshman quarterback Kedon Slovis added another 232 yards and two scores, while the Trojan defense held a potentially prolific Arizona offense to 14 fourth-quarter points.
Pac-12 in AP Rankings After Week 8
Complete Week 8 Pac-12 Football Results
No. 12 Oregon
No. 25 Washington
No. 17 Arizona State
No. 13 Utah
—Recent Staff Stories—
- SportsPac12 Senior Football Writers Roundtable: Mid-Season Observations
- SportsPac12 Players of the Week (Week 4)
- SportsPac12 Players of the Week (Week 3)
- SportsPac12 Senior Football Writers Roundtable: Early-Season Observations
- SportsPac12 Players of the Week (Week 2)
- SportsPac12 Players of the Week (Week 1)
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 9
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 7
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 5
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 4
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 3
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 2
- Compete List of Current Pac-12 Players in the NFL
- 2019 Pac-12 Football Season Rewind: Highlights and Summaries from Week 1
- Former Pac-12 Players in 2020 NBA Playoffs
- Status of Pac-12 Players for the 2020 NBA Draft
- 2020 Pac-12 Player NFL Free Agent Deals
- Pac-12 Players taken in 2020 NFL Draft
- 45 Former Pac-12 Players Invited to 2020 NFL Combine
- The Conference’s 10 Biggest Football Coach of the Year Snubs