By Jeff Goodman
My preseason top 50 is obviously still a work in progress since we won’t know for certain who is withdrawing from the NBA Draft, who is staying in, and who else might be a surprise late pickup via the transfer wire.
But here’s what we do know: Veteran teams should have a major advantage this season, and that bodes well for Baylor, Villanova and Gonzaga — which are really 1A, 1B and 1C in my latest rankings.
The biggest surprises just might be Arizona State and Richmond, which both cracked the top 15. The Big Ten and SEC both have nine teams in the Top 50, but the Big Ten has four in the top 15 while the SEC doesn’t have a single team in the top 15.
—Recent News Feed Stories—
- Bruce Feldman: Cal Bears football a ‘Top-15-Caliber Team’
- CU’s McKinley Wright IV, ASU’s Remy Martin set to battle for one last season
- Former Ducks Tony Brooks-James, Bralon Addison waived by Minnesota Vikings
- Player movement: Is it time for college football to turn pro?
- If college football season doesn’t happen, NFL likely will play on Saturdays
- NFL privately remains very confident full season will be played
- Pac-12 reportedly will not talk pay with players
- Former Cal Bear & first American to break 4-minute mile turns 84
- Trap game for each Pac-12 team during the 2020 season
- Former USC LB Cameron Smith to undergo open-heart surgery
- ASU alum Phil Mickelson details love of coffee during PGA Championship
- Arizona football’s Schooler family voices support for season
- Hoops recruiting expert: Ducks have small lead on Arizona for 5-star center
- Utah AD weighs in on demands made by Pac-12 football players
- Wave of key summer returnees gives college basketball something to build on
- Every Pac-12 football team’s toughest three-game stretch in 2020
- Weeks later, the fate of NCAA D-I fall championships rests in a fitting place
- Larry Scott, players group offer conflicting views of meeting, path forward
- NCAA sounding seriously doubtful about playing football this fall
- AD Rob Mullens: Oregon ‘trying to figure out if we can return to practice’
- 2 anonymous Power 5 ADs: ‘Inevitable’ 2020 CFB season won’t be played in fall
- Pac-12 player group ‘disappointed’ after call with commissioner
- Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez on fate of CFB season: ‘I’m very concerned.’
- Larry Scott reportedly calls Pac-12 movement ‘misguided PR stunt’
- How would former Arizona athletes feel about playing during the pandemic?
- Cal gets commitment from Top247 4-star DL Derek Wilkins
- College football in the spring is becoming more likely—what would that look like?
- As CFB season heads toward collapse, which P5 conference will go first?
- The machinery is in motion to postpone the 2020 college football season
- Big Ten slowing return to full-contact football practices as precaution
- Letters exchanged between #WeAreUnited Pac-12 player group and Larry Scott
- Letters show divide between players, Larry Scott over protocols on COVID-19
- Level 1 sanctions are coming for Arizona Basketball says Dick Vitale
- Report: Big Ten commissioner prefers spring football season
- WSU President Kirk Schulz plans to speak with WR Kassidy Woods
- Stanford alum Valarie Allman breaks U.S. record in discus
- USC reports zero new COVID-19 cases after weekly testing
- WSU defensive back Trey Davis enters transfer portal
- Examining ASU football’s five scholarship transfer additions
- Technology helping Colorado football prepare for season
- Bruce Feldman: Cal Bears football a ‘Top-15-Caliber Team’ - August 9, 2020
- CU’s McKinley Wright IV, ASU’s Remy Martin set to battle for one last season - August 9, 2020
- Former Ducks Tony Brooks-James, Bralon Addison waived by Minnesota Vikings - August 9, 2020