Posted on December 23, 2020
Over the next seven days, UCLA and Oregon continue their series while the Wildcats and Buffaloes take their distaste for each other to the next point of demarcation.
Both games project to have an impact on the race for the Top 4 seeds in the Pac-12 Tournament.
At the same time, undefeated Washington State has a chance to showcase its squad and prove its worthy of consideration for one of the coveted byes.
But with just three games on the horizon, the lull in action is the calm before the storm. By this time next week, regular conference play will have begun.
UCLA at No. 25 Oregon
UPDATE: This game was canceled due to a positive COVID-19 test for a referee scheduled to call the game. It will be rescheduled for date convenient for both tams.
Wednesday, December 23rd
Noon PT, ESPN
A clash of Titans.
The Ducks and Bruins square off in a midday tilt on ESPN. It may only be December, but this game has the chance of shaping the Conference race come March. Picked to finish first in the Pac-12, UCLA pits its experience and defensive prowess against Dana Altman’s press-zone and offensive firepower.
There’s no telling who emerges with the victory, but a close game is almost guaranteed. And an instant-classic may be in the making.
Over the years, this rivalry has produced numerous legacy-defining moments and historic games that are still played on television during the offseason. From Lonzo Ball’s late game three at Pauley, to Dillon Brooks’ game-winning shot at Mathew Knight Arena, this rivalry is as storied as they come in the Pac-12 Era.
If there’s only one Conference of Champion’s game you watch over the Christmas break, this is the one.
Northwestern State at Washington State
Wednesday, December 23rd
2:00 pm PT, Pac-12 Network
Through seven games, the Cougars are undefeated and relatively untested. Kyle Smith’s schedule has been arguably the weakest in the Conference of Champions, making Washington State somewhat of an unknown commodity.
There’s no denying that Smith’s freshmen class and underclassmen are talented, but WSU has yet to face an NCAA Tournament caliber team. Not even Smith himself knows how his players will react against a quality opponent, and likely won’t find out until their matchup with Arizona State next week.
But in the meantime, there’s nothing wrong with reveling in a 7-0 start that projects to be extended to eight after the Cougs are finished with Northwestern State.
Colorado at Arizona
Monday, December 28th
6:30 pm PT, Pac-12 Network
The history of the Arizona-Colorado rivalry can be traced to the Buffs’ second season in the Pac-12. The Wildcats were ranked No. 3 in the country and CU’s Sabatino Chen appeared to hit a last-second game-winning three in Tucson. That perception changed when the wily video coordinator at McKale Center waited until the refs were at the monitor to show the replay to the crowd.
At just the right time, the angle that showed the ball still in Chen’s hand as time ran out caused the 14,500-strong crowd to erupt in anger. The refs looked at each other awkwardly—perhaps a bit fearful of the repercussions of jilting such a large crowd—then waived off the basket.
What followed that afternoon and over the next several seasons lingers to this day, as the Cats managed to beat CU in overtime on that fateful day in 2013. The very next year, Colorado’s Xavier Johnson famously said after a loss to the Wildcats in Tucson, “We have better players than them, I think,” and that the return trip to Boulder would be, “a 20-point blowout,” in favor of CU.
Four weeks later, No. 4 Arizona beat the Buffaloes by 28 in Boulder.
The rest is history. The animosity is real.
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 10 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 9 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 9 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 9 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
Miller: Week 10 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsNot many would have predicted OSU to take down USC and Oregon in the same week - January 25, 2021
Miller: Week 9 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsThe cream rises in January, and a bad loss could pigeon-hole a First Round exit - January 23, 2021
Miller: Week 9 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsThe Pac-12 is worryingly close to being relegated to just four teams in the Big Dance - January 21, 2021