Posted on September 28, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this fourth installment with Arizona’s McKale Center.
Overall Record: 135-18
Overall Conference Record: 67-14
Overall Nonconference Record: 68-4
Since 2011-12, Sean Miller has guided his program to nonconference victories over No. 5 Florida, No. 9 Gonzaga, Michigan, Texas Tech, and UConn en route to a 68-4 nonconference mark. The four defeats came from No. 6 Gonzaga in 2019, Baylor in 2018, San Diego State in 2011, and Bucknell in the 2012 NIT.
Within the Conference, the Cats are 67-14 including a victory over No. 3 Arizona State in 2017. Utah, USC, Stanford, Oregon State, and Colorado are winless in the building. And Arizona State, California, and Washington State have just a single victory.
UCLA and Oregon, however, have figured out how to win in the desert confine. Both the Bruins and Ducks are 4-3 during the Pac-12 Era, and the Wildcats have failed to beat either program when they enter the building ranked in the Top 25.
Washington has had similar success, posting a 3-4 mark during the period.
Still, when ranked in the Top 25, the Cats are a jaw-dropping 107-9 at McKale Center. Of the 153 games played in Tucson, Miller’s squad was ranked in 116 of them (75%).
Arizona is the only team in the Pac-12 to take the floor at it’s home arena ranked No. 1 in the nation during the Pac-12 Era. The Cats played 8 games from 2013-14 ranked as the top squad in the country, going 8-0 over that stretch.
The arena has been the site of 10 matchups between ranked teams. In those games, the Wildcats are 6-4 with the defeats coming at the hands of No. 5 UCLA in 2017, No. 6 Gonzaga in 2019, No. 14 Oregon in 2020, and No. 23 Oregon in 2016.
There has been just a single game against a Top 25 opponent when Arizona was unranked. Last season, Miller and company defeated No. 20 Colorado as an unranked program.
However, the absence of an Arizona victory over a ranked UCLA or Oregon team is a tell-tale sign of the recent trend in the two rivalries. The Cats have even dropped three games to unranked Bruin squads.
The 14-point loss to Washington State in 2019 is arguably the sole shocking defeat in the Era, though the 11-point loss to Bucknell in the 2012 NIT is similarly head-scratching.
Putting all that aside, there’s no denying that McKale Center is one of the toughest, if not the toughest, road game for every team in the Pac-12. The hostile environment is notoriously unwelcoming to opposing fans, and the Cats historically back it up with victories.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record vs. Top 25: 7-4
Record vs. Top 25 When Unranked: 1-0
Record vs. Top 25 When Ranked: 6-4
Record When Ranked: 107-9
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 1 (2013-2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 3 Arizona State (2017)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 3 Arizona State (2017)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 3 Arizona State (2017); No. 8 Utah (2015); No. 20 Colorado (2020); No. 23 USC (2016); No. 25 California (2016)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 5 Florida (2012); No. 9 Gonzaga (2014); Michigan (2014); Texas Tech (2013); UConn (2017); Missouri (2015); Illinois (2019); UNLV (2013, 2015)
Bucknell by 11 (2012 NIT)
Washington State by 14 (2019)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at McKale Center
UCLA : 4-3
Washington State: 1-6
Arizona State: 1-8
Oregon State: 0-7
*Stats for Pac-12 Era only, courtesy sports-reference.com.
USC’s Galen Center
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
- Miller: A .500 Season Should be Within Reach for Cal Hoops
Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsWith February just around the corner, holding steady at home remains the key - January 16, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsDaytime games are becoming more common on the Conference schedule - January 14, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsFive Conference teams are likely battling for seeds in this year’s Big Dance - January 11, 2021