Posted on October 29, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this 11th installment with Washington State’s Beasley Coliseum.
Elevation: 2,550 feet
Overall Record: 82-61
Overall Conference Record: 30-51
Overall Nonconference Record: 52-10
Last season, the first-year coach led the program to its best win at home since the Conference expanded, upsetting No. 8 Oregon by 11. Earlier in the year, Klay Thompson’s jersey was retired in front of over 10,000 fans as the Cougs took down Oregon State.
And heading into 2020-21, Smith has the fourth-best recruiting class in the Pac-12 and the 33rd overall class in the nation.
All that momentum should do wonders for the program, as the prior eight years at Beasley were underwhelming. Apart from the Oregon win and victories over No. 23 UCLA in 2013 and No. 25 UCLA in 2016, Washington State hasn’t notched any ranked wins.
Out of conference, the arena played host to Game One of the CBI Championship in 2012. In that matchup, WSU took down Pitt, and earlier in the tournament the Cougs beat Wyoming at Beasley.
Former coach Ken Bone secured a win over Fresno State in 2012 and Pepperdine in 2013, and Ernie Kent posted a win over UTEP in 2015.
Otherwise, the arena is marked by bad losses to New Orleans by 16, UC Davis by 14, San Jose State by 12, and Idaho by 6.
The only outlier defeat of the Smith Era was the loss to Omaha by eight last November.
Still, the Cougs have a losing record in Conference play, and all but Arizona State, Colorado, and UCLA are above .500 in Pullman. Arizona is undefeated in the arena, Washington has six wins, and Utah, Stanford, Oregon, USC, and OSU each have five victories.
And WSU hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2008 when it advanced to the Sweet 16.
Putting all that aside, there is undeniable momentum heading into the new decade. The winning records over the Sun Devils, Buffs, and Bruins are tangible stats to rally around. All three programs are considered potential tournament teams this season, and victories over each in Pullman are achievable goals Smith can strive for.
In the long run, the lack of a signature nonconference win must be addressed. Realistically, a team from the Mountain West is the most likely victim. A solid win over the likes of Nevada, Boise State, San Diego State, or even New Mexico would add fuel to the recruiting fire building in Pullman.
Until then, it’s one step at a time on the Palouse.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record v. Top 25: 3-13
Record v. Top 25 When Unranked: 3-13
Record v. Top 25 When Ranked: 0-0
Record When Ranked: 0-0
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: Unranked
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 8 Oregon (2020)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 5 Arizona (2017)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 8 Oregon (2020); No. 23 UCLA (2013); No. 25 UCLA (2016)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: Pitt (2012 CBI Championship Game One); Fresno State (2012); Wyoming (2012 CBI); Pepperdine (2013); UTEP (2015)
New Orleans by 16 (2016)
UC Davis by 14 (2017)
San Jose State by 12 (2016)
Omaha by 8 (2019)
Idaho by 6 (2014)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Beasley Coliseum
Oregon State: 5-3
Arizona State: 3-4
*Stats courtesy of sports-reference.com
UW’s Alaska Airlines Arena
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 9 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
Miller: Week 9 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsThe final stretch of the Conference race looms large in the eyes of the Selection Committee - January 19, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsWith February just around the corner, holding steady at home remains the key - January 16, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsDaytime games are becoming more common on the Conference schedule - January 14, 2021