Posted on October 27, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this ninth installment with Oregon State’s Gill Coliseum.
Elevation: 230 feet
Overall Record: 101-48
Overall Conference Record: 45-38
Overall Nonconference Record: 56-10
At the start of the Pac-12 Era, Craig Robinson led the program to nonconference victories over New Mexico State and TCU, but dropped shockers to Idaho, Towson, and Coppin State. Wayne Tinkle took over in 2014 and has led the Beavs’ to .500 or better finishes in five of his six seasons.
But the home crowd has similarly witnessed shocking defeats to Lamar, Savannah State, and Kent State under his tutelage.
Within the Conference, OSU’s best win was over No. 7 Arizona in 2015, a Wildcat team that eventually made it to the Elite 8. Last season, Tinkle and company posted two respectable victories over No. 14 Oregon and No. 24 Arizona to go along with a win over Iowa State to start the year.
The three victories in 2019-20 were arguably the program’s best resume-building wins in a single season since the Conference expanded in 2011-12.
In fact, all four of Oregon State’s victories over ranked conference opponents have come during the Tinkle Era. And in 2016, the Beavers made their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1990 after taking down No. 21 USC in Corvallis.
Only Arizona, Stanford, and Arizona State have winning records in the building, a testament to the student section’s affect on opponents. The Beavers are also above .500 against Oregon, an accomplishment that not many teams in the Conference of Champions can match.
Though not quite an environment that opponents dread coming to, or one that players circle on the schedule each season, the arena, crowd, and home team are consistently liable to take advantage of overconfident visitors. Especially in the Tinkle Era.
But after nine seasons, there has yet to be a matchup between two ranked teams, and Oregon State hasn’t taken the floor ranked in the Top 25. To get there, OSU can’t afford any more losses to the likes of the Kent State’s and Lamar’s of the college basketball world in the 2020s.
Any stumbles in 2020-21 would put the program at further risk of getting left behind as the Pac-12 as a whole precipitously strengthens in the new decade.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record v. Top 25: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Unranked: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Ranked: 0-0
Record When Ranked: 0-0
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: Unranked
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 7 Arizona (2015)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 UCLA (2016)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 7 Arizona (2015); No. 14 Oregon (2020); No. 21 USC (2016); No. 24 Arizona (2020)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: New Mexico State (2012); TCU (2012 CBI); Mississippi State (2014); Nevada (2015); Iowa State (2019)
Idaho by 14 (2011)
Coppin State by 5 (2013)
Redford by 4 (2014 CBI)
Lamar by 3 (2016)
Savannah State by 3 (2016)
Kent State by 3 (2018)
Towson by 1 (2012)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Gill Coliseum
Arizona State: 4-3
Washington State: 3-5
Oregon’s Matthew Knight Arena
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
- Miller: A .500 Season Should be Within Reach for Cal Hoops
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Alaska Airlines Arena
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Beasley Coliseum
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Matthew Knight Arena
- Miller: Buffs Face Shortened Season with Litany of Questions
- Miller: Utes Must Find Key Replacements to Remain Competitive in 2020
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Cal’s Haas Pavilion
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Stanford’s Maples Pavilion
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: USC’s Galen Center
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Arizona’s McKale Center
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Arizona State’s Desert Financial Arena
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Colorado’s CU Events Center
- Scouting the Pac-12 Basketball Arenas: Utah’s John M. Huntsman Center
- Miller Mailbag: Weather Games, COVID-19 & Recruiting, UA Media Bias, and More
- Dane Miller: Lute Olson Changed Lives, Redefined Tucson as Basketball Family
- Miller: Pac-12 Coaches, Players & Fans Deserved Better
- Stanford Needs Talented Newcomers to Step Up
- Experienced Bears Poised to Contend for North Division Title
- Youth Movement Key to Breakthrough Season for Wildcats
Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and PreviewsAfter missing three straight games, Arizona State is finally set to host UCLA on Saturday - December 3, 2020
Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in ReviewThe Conference went a collective 16-6, with some impressive wins and surprising loses - December 2, 2020
Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball PreviewsConference play begins early this shortened season amidst more nonconference tilts - December 2, 2020