Posted on October 28, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this ninth installment with Oregon’s Matthew Knight Arena.
Matthew Knight Arena
Elevation: 430 feet
Overall Record: 147-17
Overall Conference Record: 68-13
Overall Nonconference Record: 79-4
No Pac-12 opponent has a winning record in the building since the conference expanded in 2011-12, and the Ducks are a near perfect 11-1 against the Top 25 over that time. Tellingly, Oregon has yet to lose a game in a matchup featuring two ranked teams, posting a 6-0 mark.
Dana Altman has led the program to four wins over the Top 5, including No. 2 UCLA in 2016. The legendary instant-classic game saw the Ducks down four with less than 15 seconds to go when Payton Pritchard hit a three to bring it within one, and Dillon Brooks drained the game-winning trey with no time left.
With victories over No. 3 Arizona in 2014, No. 4 Arizona in 2013, No. 5 Arizona in 2017, and six additional wins over ranked conference opponents, it’s clear that Matthew Knight Arena is the most difficult road game in the Conference of Champions.
Arizona State and Washington State have yet to emerge victorious from MKA. And Arizona, Colorado, Stanford, USC, Utah, and Washington each have just a single win.
Surprisingly, California leads the Conference with three victories, and in 2016 the Bears were just four points away from eclipsing .500.
Overall, the Ducks are 61-5 when taking the forested floor as a ranked squad.
Though the head-turning defeat to Texas Southern in 2018 won’t be forgotten, UO has solid nonconference wins over No. 20 Baylor, Houston, BYU, Iowa, Nevada, and Alabama.
The Ducks have only lost four nonconference games in the arena: Virginia in 2011, Mississippi in 2014, Boise State in 2017, and the Texas Southern loss in 2018.
The home court advantage may dissuade the traditionally ranked East Coast programs from traveling out West to face the Ducks, as Oregon has played just a single game against a Top 25 nonconference opponent since 2011-12.
But with five wins over teams ranked in the Top 10, Matthew Knight Arena has arguably established itself as one of the most difficult places to play in the entire country. The Ducks are currently on a 22-game winning streak in Eugene, and rattled off 46 in a row from 2015-2017.
Assuming some blue-bloods, and perhaps Gonzaga or San Diego State, are brave enough to schedule the Ducks in Eugene, the arena’s national reputation should be amplified in the 2020s.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record v. Top 25: 11-1
Record v. Top 25 When Unranked: 5-1
Record v. Top 25 When Ranked: 6-0
Record When Ranked: 61-5
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 4 (2016)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 2 UCLA (2016)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 UCLA (2016)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 2 UCLA (2016); No. 3 Arizona (2014); No. 4 Arizona (2013); No. 5 Arizona (2017); No. 9 Utah (2015); No. 14 Arizona (2018); No. 16 Colorado (2020); No. 21 USC (2016); No. 22 USC (2016); No. 24 Arizona (2020)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 20 Baylor (2015); Iowa (2012); Nevada (2012); BYU (2013); Alabama (2016); Houston (2019)
Texas Southern by 5 (2018)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Matthew Knight Arena
Oregon State: 2-7
Arizona State: 0-7
Washington State: 0-7
*Stats courtesy of sports-reference.com
WSU’s Beasley Coliseum
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 9 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
Miller: Week 9 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsThe final stretch of the Conference race looms large in the eyes of the Selection Committee - January 19, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsWith February just around the corner, holding steady at home remains the key - January 16, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsDaytime games are becoming more common on the Conference schedule - January 14, 2021