Posted on October 3, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this sixth installment with UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion.
Elevation: 338 feet
Overall Record: 124-28
Overall Conference Record: 62-17
Overall Nonconference Record: 62-11
Beginning with the last few years of the Ben Howland Era, UCLA dropped head-turning games to Middle Tennessee State, Loyola Marymount, and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
Six seasons later came the tumultuous transition from Steve Alford to Mick Cronin, and the Bruins posted similarly worrying losses to Belmont, Hofstra, Cal State Fullerton, and Liberty.
Sprinkle in a victory over No. 1 Kentucky in between, and you’re ready to join the UCLA fan club. Prepare for a bumpy ride.
Sandwiched between the shocking nonconference defeats and victories sits a consistent characteristic: dominance in conference play. The Bruins have a winning record against every team in the Pac-12, and only Oregon and USC have more than two wins at Pauley.
That’s a remarkable trait for a program with double-digit defeats on its home court to the likes of Liberty and Hofstra.
In reality, those shocking losses came during transitional periods when the program was either on the brink of firing its coach or at the very start of a new era.
The nonconference peak was the victory over No. 1 Kentucky in 2015. The upset win came during the height of the Alford Era, a brief five and a half year period that produced three Sweet 16’s and a Pac-12 Tournament Championship.
UCLA put together additional respectable wins against Michigan in 2016, Norte Dame in 2018, and No. 7 Missouri in 2012.
During the Lonzo Ball season in 2016-17, the Bruins took the floor as the No. 2 team in the nation. Only Arizona has achieved that height since 2011-12, a distinguishing mark that sets the program above the rest of the Conference of Champions.
Though consistent turnover has plagued the head coach, the constant remains strong recruiting classes and NBA-level talent. That strength has created the 34-4 record as a ranked program, and the 6-4 mark against the Top 25 when unranked.
The building has witnessed three games between two ranked opponents, with UCLA going 1-2 in those contests. The single victory came in 2017 when the No. 10 Bruins were battling No. 5 Oregon led by Dillon Brooks. Ball’s instant-classic dagger three with 32 seconds remaining sealed the game, securing UCLA’s best conference win of the Era.
And while the seven wins against the Top 25 are a solid indication of the Bruins’ success, the 11 defeats in nonconference are indicative of the underlying struggles the program has faced since 2011-12.
Fortunately for the University and the Pac-12 as a whole, Mick Cronin appears poised to eclipse the success of the Alford Era and return the Bruins to consistent national relevancy in the new decade.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record vs. Top 25: 7-6
Record vs. Top 25 When Unranked: 6-4
Record vs. Top 25 When Ranked: 1-2
Record When Ranked: 34-4
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 2 (2016)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 1 Kentucky (2015)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 1 Kentucky (2015); No. 1 Arizona (2014)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 5 Oregon (2017); No. 7 Arizona (2016); No. 11 Utah (2015); No. 11 Arizona (2013); No. 20 Colorado (2020)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 1 Kentucky (2015); No. 7 Missouri (2012); Michigan (2016); Norte Dame (2018); UNLV (2019)
Middle Tennessee State by 20 (2011)
Liberty by 15 (2018)
Loyola Marymount by 11 (2011)
Hofstra by 10 (2019)
Cal State Fullerton by 3 (2019)
Monmouth by 3 (2015)
Belmont by 2 (2018)
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo by 2 (2012)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Pauley Pavilion
Arizona State: 1-5
Oregon State: 1-6
Washington State: 0-7
*Stats courtesy of sports-reference.com
Stanford’s Maples Pavilion
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
- Miller: A .500 Season Should be Within Reach for Cal Hoops
Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsWith February just around the corner, holding steady at home remains the key - January 16, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsDaytime games are becoming more common on the Conference schedule - January 14, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsFive Conference teams are likely battling for seeds in this year’s Big Dance - January 11, 2021