Posted on September 18, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era, beginning with Utah’s Huntsman Center.
John M. Huntsman Center
Elevation: 4,780 feet
Overall Record: 118-34
Overall Conference Record: 55-26
Overall Nonconference Record: 63-8
A defeat in the building is almost unheard of when the Runnin’ Utes are ranked. Their 20-1 record as a Top 25 program is as impressive as it gets.
In 2015, Larry Krystkowiak’s squad took the floor as the No. 9 team in the nation, a feat only a handful of schools in the Conference of Champions have accomplished in the Pac-12 Era. The Top 10 appearance highlighted a special year for the program, capped off by a Sweet 16 run in the NCAA Tournament.
The 2015 season is even more impressive considering the state of the team at the start of the Pac-12 Era, when Cal State Fullerton dropped a 31-point dose of reality on the Utes.
However, the success of the Kyle Kuzma years hasn’t been sustained, as evidenced by a 4-11 record against Top 25 teams.
Programs are built on upset wins, and the Utes have just two victories over ranked opponents when taking the floor as an unranked squad. And while the wins over No. 8 Arizona and No. 8 Wichita State are impressive, the 26% win-percentage against Top 25 teams shows that the arena has yet to distinguish itself as an environment that strikes fear in ranked opponents.
That being said, Colorado, Stanford, and Washington State have struggled mightily in the environment. The three schools are combined 2-22 in the building.
Arizona State, Washington, USC, Oregon State, and California haven’t fared much better, either, with the five programs going 10-26 in Salt Lake City, despite having quality teams over the years.
A statistical outlier is UCLA, holding a 3-4 mark against the Utes in Utah.
Still, Oregon and Arizona are a combined 11-3 at the Huntsman Center. The two blue-bloods of the Pac-12 have produced almost half of the home conference losses Utah has sustained. The 2015 matchup between No. 8 Arizona and No. 13 Utah, in particular, may have been the biggest game in the arena during the Pac-12 Era. The six-point Ute loss arguably halted the program’s upswing.
Nonetheless, Utah’s 2-1 record against the Top 25 in the arena, when also ranked, is indicative of the home court advantage the building provides. With respectable nonconference victories over No. 8 Wichita State, San Diego State, Minnesota, and several matchups with BYU, the Huntsman Center is a proven environment that can’t be taken lightly.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record vs. Top 25: 4-11
Record vs. Top 25 When Unranked: 2-10
Record vs. Top 25 When Ranked: 2-1
Record When Ranked: 20-1
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 9 (2015)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 8 Arizona (2016); No. 8 Wichita State (2014)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 4 Arizona (2014); No. 4 UCLA (2017); No. 4 Arizona State (2018); No. 4 Oregon (2020)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 8 Arizona (2016); No. 19 Oregon (2013); No. 25 USC (2017)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: No. 8 Wichita State (2014); BYU (2013, 2015, 2019); San Diego State (2015); Minnesota (2019)
Cal State Fullerton by 31 (2011)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at the Huntsman Center
Arizona State: 2-5
Oregon State: 2-5
Washington State: 0-8
*Stats for Pac-12 Era only, courtesy sports-reference.com.
Up Next: The CU Events Center
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 7 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops in Review
- Miller: Final 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 6 Saturday Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Early Hoops Review and Thursday Game Previews
- Arizona and Colorado Renew Bitter Rivalry Dating Back to Last-Second Shot
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Alamo and Fiesta Bowl Previews
- Miller: Week 5 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- Miller: Postseason Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 4 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 7
- Miller: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 3 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 6
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 5 Football Picks and Previews
- Miller: Week 1 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball in Review
- Miller: Week 2 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 5
- Miller: Buffs Have Talent to Contend for Pac-12 Title, Make Tournament Run
- Miller: 2020-21 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Outlook and Week 1 Previews
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Week 4 Football Picks and Previews
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 4
- Miller: Stellar Recruiting Class Gives Stanford Hoops Pac-12 Title Hopes
- Miller: Beavs Must Compensate for Loss of Tres Tinkle and Kylor Kelley
- Miller: Utah Hoops Must Stay Healthy and Win More on Road to Turn Corner
- Miller: 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews, Week 3
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 3
- Miller: Top Half of the Pac-12, At-Large Bid to Dance Reasonable for Dawgs
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 2
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 2
- Miller: Winning Season, More Success on Road Doable for Cougar Hoops
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Previews: Week 1
- 2020 Preseason Pac-12 Football Outlook and Predictions
- 2020 Pac-12 Football Power Rankings: Week 1
- Miller: A .500 Season Should be Within Reach for Cal Hoops
Miller: Week 8 Saturday Men’s Hoops PreviewsWith February just around the corner, holding steady at home remains the key - January 16, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Thursday Men’s Hoops PreviewsDaytime games are becoming more common on the Conference schedule - January 14, 2021
Miller: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power RankingsFive Conference teams are likely battling for seeds in this year’s Big Dance - January 11, 2021